Influence and Advocacy Committee
Approved September 19, 2016
Charge: The Influence and Advocacy Committee monitors national and state legislative and technology developments. The Committee members research, develop, and promote advocacy/educational campaigns that represent and promote the interests of the membership and the educational enterprise.
Optimal number of members: 2 or more
- Visit/Collaborate with local and state legislators to educate them to fund educational technology at state and local level that are in the best interests of education
- Advocate for licensure for Technology Directors/Chief Information Officers/District Technology Coordinators
- Inform MassCUE members of important pending legislation regarding technology in education.
- Collaborate with other affiliates and ISTE to advance technology in schools to improve teaching and learning.
- Educate, collaborate with policy makers to achieve funding and legislation to support the appropriate use of technology in teaching, learning and administration
- Draft position papers on specific topics that align with the mission of MassCUE.
- Work with the DESE to support educational technology in the schools
- Recommend MassCUE representatives to serve on the Digital Education Advisory Council
- Monitor state website for relevance and opportunities connected to our mission
- Read proposals
- Present at conferences
- Collaborate on PD offerings
- Support MassCUE members individually and collectively to influence local/state/national legislators
- Work with other affiliates, ISTE and like- minded organizations
- Reach out to global organizations with similar mission to enhance global learning
- Create an Influence and Advocacy newsletter as needed to send to members
- Collaborate with Website Coordinator to post newsletter on MassCUE site and to keep information current and accurate
- Coordinate with social media ambassador to share news
- Keep abreast of new legislative initiatives
- Review committee membership and recruit additional members (April/May)
- Committee to meet face to face to assess success and set new and continuing goals. Set goals and plan strategic moves for the year (June/July/Aug)
- The following actions may be taken if they advance the mission of MassCUE. The initiative will dictate the time period.
- Visit the Statehouse and meet with members of both Houses with or without specific proposals.
- Meet with aides to procure sponsorship for any bills proposed.
- Communicate with affiliates
- Check in with appropriate DESE staff member(s)
- Present information during MassCUE/MASS conference and Board meetings
- Propose new initiatives
- Assess advocacy and member needs
- Empower members with information to be engaged in association legislative efforts
- Attend and participate in Forums and/or Symposiums where interests of the membership are discussed/advocated for.
- Represent the organization in meetings with Department of Education (DESE / EOE) and other state agencies, in collaboration with Executive Committee.